Tuesday, February 27, 2007

John 3:1-21

In today's reading, Jesus is visited by Nicodemus, who is seeking guidance. Jesus tells him he must be "born again" (3:3)

I struggle with the concept of "born again".

Many people identify themselves as "born again Christians". They can tell you the exact day that they were saved. They can tell you where it was, who was there, and what they felt. It is usually described as a very powerful experience, resulting in profound changes in their practical and spiritual lifestyle.

I grew up in the Anglican Church. We never talked about being "born again". We were encouraged to have a very private relationship with God. Our parents committed us to God when we were babies, and at the age of 13, we, by our own choice, rededicated ourselves to God through the sacrament of Confirmation.

But for me, the actual act of committing my whole self to Jesus wasn't a one-time deal. I committed myself to Him when I was a very little child, but my faith wandered in university. Later, I came fully back to God. Then my life turned upside-down, and I pushed God away again. But once more, God proved faithful and, yet again, I recommitted my life to Him.

Perhaps I've been born again and again and again?

Most Anglicans, and I'm sure many other Christians, probably can't tell you the single day they committed their life to God. Maybe, like me, it happened several times. Maybe it was a gradual process, like many of our human relationships, building over time and experience.

Jesus tells Nicodemus that we must be "born of water and the Spirit" (3:5), but He's not specific about how that needs to happen. He doesn't say it has to happen on a Tuesday at 3 p.m. He doesn't say it has to take 10 years for it to stick. He doesn't even say it has to happen in a church, or in a crowd, or in a revival. He just says that it needs to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home