Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Luke 20:45-21:38

As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." (21:1-4 NIV)

These few lines have been quoted again and again in sermons through the ages. We respect and admire this unnamed women who gave all her financial resources to God's work. But how do we apply this to our lives?

Years ago, a famous businessman publicly gave one million dollars to charity. He challenged other wealthy people to do the same. He was openly criticized for not giving enough. His critics claimed that a man worth hundreds of millions could afford to do more.

Should we take this story of the "widow's mite" literally - giving away all our money and living in poverty? Is a million dollars not enough to give? Is there no middle ground?

Here's the story that brought this lesson home to me:

Before moving to Nashville, I sang in a 'farewell' concert. We had many people in attendance, and several people gave us cards and notes, expressing their love and support of our ministry. I put the cards in a bag, so I could read them at home.

That night, I pulled out a card from a woman I knew from a downtown church. She lives in assisted housing and wears second-hand clothes. I don't know much about her personal life, but I imagine most days it's a struggle to make ends meet.

The envelope felt thick and lumpy. As I ripped open the paper, colourful beads and jewels spilled out into my hand. Within the fold of the card, she had stuffed six pieces of jewelery. None of it was 'high-end'. It probably all came from the local Goodwill. But from what I know of this woman's situation, this would have been an extravagant purchase for her.

She gave me the best she could afford. I started to cry - This was the "widow's mite".

Question: Are you giving you best to God?


Tomorrow's reading: Luke 22:1-38

(Today's post written by Allison Lynn.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home