Wednesday, February 28, 2007

John 3:22-36

"He must become more important while I become less important." (3:30)

We live in a world today that emphasizes self-reliance and self-importance. Success is valued over service. Through websites, myspace, and yes, even blogs, we are encouraged to brag about our accomplishments and achievements. We are taught to be the centre of our own universe.

But John realized that he was not the centre of any universe. He clearly understood that he himself was not the Son of God. His role was to be a messenger, to spread the word of the Good News of Jesus.

We often hear horror stories of people who start out with a good and honest ministry, but somewhere along the way, they lose sight of God. They let ego and money and fame blind them to the original goal of their ministry. Some get caught and are forced to reconcile on national television. Others go their whole careers living secret lives of dishonesty and faithlessness.

I sometimes sing background vocals for my husband. Even though I love being in the spotlight, on those nights, it is my job to support my husband's performance. The better I can sing my part, the better his performance is, and the better he can communicate his message to the audience.

I think John serves as a great example of humility in action. He recognizes that the message of Jesus is far more important than anything he could say. In everything he does, he makes himself less important, so that all the glory, the whole spotlight, can shine on Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home