Friday, March 21, 2008

Luke 23:26-56

From the cross Jesus spoke 7 times... ironically, the perfect number of times, since 7 is considered the perfect number.

If we were caught up on the numbers only, then we would miss the real messages of the 'last words of Jesus' spoken as He was being crucified on a Friday we call GOOD.

The 7 words or sentences (more correctly) show where Jesus' concerns were that afternoon. He had concerns for others and He revealed His inner feelings and fears.

Firstly, His concern for other people ...

1. "Father forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." Jesus was erasing the actions and sins of His enemies, as well as those of His friends.

2. "Today, you will be with me in Paradise." Jesus promised the dying thief that they would enter eternal life together immediately. It shows that it is never too late for God to receive us.

3. "Woman, here is your son. Son, here is your mother." Jesus wanted His mother to be cared for and He knew His friend would need maternal care, so He entrusted the care of each to the other. There are many examples of this action in our own lives as we care for each other.

4. "It is finished" or "It is completed." What Jesus had come to Earth to accomplish - His becoming human to save us from temptation, sin, suffering and death - was now done. This 'gift' would be an eternal one.

Secondly, His inner feelings and fears ...

5. "I am thirsty." Jesus wanted to show His humanity as well as His divinity. This basic physical need, expressed by Jesus on the cross, indicates His being fully human, like us.

6. "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" Jesus felt utterly abandoned and alone at that moment - He descended into hell. Sometimes we need to scream out at God in our moments of despair.

7. "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." Jesus had regained His closeness with God and was ready to place His spirit or soul into the everlasting and loving arms of God. So can we.

Question: How do the words of Jesus resonate in your life this Good Friday?

Two more days to Resurrection Sunday.


Tomorrow's reading: Luke 24:1-52

(Today's post submitted by Rev. Hollis Hiscock.)

3 Comments:

At March 21, 2008 at 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK-YOU. + k

 
At March 22, 2008 at 7:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poem - Presented St.Clement's, PM, 3/21/08, reference, by UK-Modern, an award's, Czechoslovak as well. Anton Tucapsky [music], poetic by G.herbert 91593-1633] Quite marvellous to be:

The Sacrifice:
I Oh, allye, who passe by, Oh all ye, whose eyes and minde
To wordly things are sharp, but to me binde,
To me, who took eyes that I might you finde:
Was ever grief like mine?
The princes of my people make a head against their Maker:
They do wish me dead, who cannot wish,
Except I give them bread: Was ever grief like mine?

II Mine own Apostle, who the bad did beare, Although he had it all
I had, he did not forbeare to sell me also and to put me there:
Was ever grief like mine?
Judas, dost betray me with a kisse,
Amd misse of life just at the gates of life and blisse?
Canst thou finde hell about my lips?
Mine own Apostle, who at three hundred did the oitment prize,
Not half so sweet as my sweet sacrifice:
Was ever grief like mine?

III Yet my disciples sleep, I cannot gain one houre of watching:
But their drowsie brain comforts not me and doth my doctrine stain:
Was ever grief like mine?
Arise, they come, look how they runne! Alas, what haste they make
To be undone! How with their lanterns do they seek me, as a thief.
Who am the Way and Truth, the true relief:
Most true to those who are my greatest grief.

Now there are 4 other stanza's to the poem, but for room, I will leave them for your research, unless requested.
+ k

 
At March 24, 2009 at 9:30 PM , Blogger ambersun said...

Hi from Australia

The thing that speaks to me most from the cross is 'My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?'

If even Jesus felt forsaken then, surely, it's ok for me to feel that way sometimes.

I don't at the moment - at the moment life is OK. But I have, oh so many times - in the past - felt that God was a long, long way away.

God Bless

Amber

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home