Monday, March 26, 2007

John 14:1-31

I was four years old.
We lived in a two story house.
It was winter.
The evenings were long and dark.
Maybe I was a little scared.
I wanted to feel the security of being with family.
I lay on the family sofa
Listening to the radio, or
Hearing the stories from the community story-teller.
I fell asleep.
That is all I remember about that day.

The next morning
I woke in my own room.
The night before, my father took me, asleep, and Carried me UPSTAIRS to the bed prepared for me.
When I asked my father what had happened
He said, "You fell asleep, so I brought you upstairs, and
I decided to let you sleep fully clothed, because
You did not need to be disturbed."

My father could have said, like Jesus,
"In my house are many rooms, I have prepared one for you.
I picked you up and took you to your room, so that,
Where I am, you can be also."

Jesus is saying to those who believe in Him,
Through my death and resurrection, I give you eternal life.

Jesus is saying to you and to me:

Do not be afraid
At the moment of your death, I will be there,
Waiting for you.
Then I will bring your soul to that special place that
I have reserved for you.
Do not worry … I am never late … I will be there ...
I am here with you at this precise moment ... now
Let not your heart be troubled .. do not be afraid.
Amen …. So be it.

(Today's post submitted by guest writer, Rev. Hollis Hiscock.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home